We are seeking submissions that explore the histories of entertainment, leisure, and enjoyment. These topics are rich sites for the study of cultural history. Across geographical and temporal boundaries, humans have a long history of enjoyment. By examining the forms and spaces of entertainment, performance, recreation, sport, and leisure, we can form a better historical understanding of human cultures. We are seeking articles and research notes that examine:
- The histories of physical culture, bodily performances, and sports.
- The role of cultural contact, dissemination, and appropriation of entertainment.
- The histories of visual arts, music, film, television, print media, theatre, and other forms and spaces for entertainment and creative expression.
- The policing and regulation of entertainment and recreation.
- Deviance and defiance in performance, entertainment, and enjoyment.
The GHR accepts submissions from scholars working on all fields and periods of history. We accept submissions on an ongoing basis, but will only consider submissions received before February 15th, 2018 for publication in Volume 7.
All submissions must adhere to our Submission Guidelines and must not be under consideration with any other publication.
We look forward to receiving your submissions!