Interested in submitting to this journal? View the latest Call for Submissions. We also recommend that you review the Author Guidelines below.
We limit our submissions to scholars transitioning into a graduate degree, working on a graduate degree, or holding a graduate degree.
Submissions are encouraged from scholars working in all areas of historical research.
Authors have the option of submitting articles in one of two formats:
- Based on original primary source research and grounded in relevant literature
- Approximately 20-25 pages (5000-6500 words)
- Reflective essays, works-in-progress, and “think pieces”
- Not necessarily based on primary source analysis, but most demonstrate an element of originality
- Designed to garner comments and feedback
- 7-10 pages (2500 words)
Both types of submissions are peer-reviewed and need to be submitted as Blind Submissions.
Preparation of Manuscripts
Please adhere to the following:
- Please use footnotes (not endnotes). Refer to The Chicago Manual of Style for matters of footnote style.
- In references to archival material, entries move from large (repository) to small (individual item).
- Please insert page numbers, but do not insert any other headers or footers.
- Please include a title and abstract.
- Figures, illustrations, charts and tables should be embedded in the text. All should appear in black and white only.
- Any quotation longer than three lines of regular text should be set off as a block quote.
- Use words to express numbers up to 99, and numbers to express numbers 100 and higher.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items. Submissions that do not adhere to these guidelines may be returned to authors.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in Microsoft Word or Open Office format.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined above in “Author Guidelines”
- The instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non- exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).